Sunday, March 10, 2013

Why Jesus Christ Matters to Me

Jesus Christ was born over 2,000 years ago.  Someone once asked me why He still matters when He lived so long ago.  To paraphrase, this is what they were saying: "I get it, he was a good man, but as time has passed, the Bible stories have been blown out of proportion through exaggeration and ideals--the Bible is a record of the ideal, not reality. And that all happened so long ago.  Things are so different now." 

I want to share why Jesus Christ matters to me, in 2013.

He did live thousands of years ago.  But He lived long before then.  He was the creator of this earth; He lived before the earth was formed. (John 1:3)  And He lives today, and tomorrow and forever.  Things are different now.  But He still lives--and that matters very much.

When He was on the earth, He lived a perfect, exemplary life we ought to follow.  All of life's problems can be solved when we ask ourselves, What would Jesus do?  I teach my children stories from the scriptures because Jesus Christ's life is the perfect pattern.  If you are going to sew a dress, it hardly makes sense to make your own pattern if you want your dress to turn out the same as the original.  There are so many philosophies out there, so many different opinions, but when we follow God's path, we can be assured we are on the same path that will bring happiness to our families.

He is our Savior.  It is through Him that we can return to live with our Father in Heaven after this life.  He saves us, literally.

I do not understand how Grace works.  Sometimes things cannot be explained.  But I know because we are mortal, that we are destined to error, to make mistakes.  Without someone who can redeem us from those errors, we would be forever lost.  Every day, I pray that through the power of His Atonement, I will be made whole and will be worthy to appear before my Maker after this life is said and done.  Without a Savior, I am nothing. It is through Him I can do anything.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13).  I recognize that any ability I am given is because of Him.

There are millions of people walking this earth who do not believe in Jesus Christ, or feel His influence is still present.  And yet, I believe His life is central to every single soul.  Every breath we take, and every good thing testifies to me of His reality.  Without Him, we would not be.  Without Him, there would be no goodness.  Without Him, there would be no hope. 

Jesus Christ matters to me.  Because I am a Mormon, I believe that He will someday return to earth and He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords...every knee will bend and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him.  Each of us will stand to be judged of Him according to our works and the desires of our hearts. (Proclamation to the World on the Family).

He will matter to each of us.




No comments: